Beverley Baptist Church is excited to have moved into the former Armstrong Sports and Social Club, next to Beverley Station and the Flemingate Shopping Centre. We have been working hard to transform the building to make it suitable for use as a 21st Century Community Centre. We opened to the public in January 2022, and The Armstrong Café opened in February. Further refurbishment work is continuing as time and funds allow.
The refurbishment project has had at its heart two key aims: to provide a comfortable home for Beverley Baptist Church, a base for our worship services and other activities, and storage space for all our belongings; and to enable the building to continue to be used by the community of Beverley for a range of activities and events. The new branding, “Beverley Baptist Church: The Armstrong Centre” holds these two together, keeping the Armstrong name as an important link to what has gone before, while also pointing to new purposes for the building in the future.
The project included remodelling the building by removing of the bar area to provide a central corridor with easy access to all spaces, accessed through new entrance doors at the end of the building next to East Riding College. Facilities within the building include:
- Large function room with sprung dance floor and stage area, with new lighting and soon to be redecorated. Suitable for dance classes, dinners and parties, conferences and talks.
- Smaller room equipped with full refreshment capabilities, including barista coffee machine and preparation area for light snacks. Operating as The Armstrong Café on weekday mornings, this space is available for hire at other times for groups suited to a café environment, or the furniture can be moved to free the space for children’s parties or other activities.
- Dedicated prayer/quiet space for individual reflection or community prayer and worship events.
- Refurbished toilet facilities including new disabled toilet to come soon.
- Fully equipped commercial kitchen
Having listened to the needs of the community of Beverley, we hope to run a number of activities ourselves which will be of benefit to a variety of people. The space will also be available for hire to individuals or organisations who wish to run their own activities. Initially we will be taking bookings for regular events/classes only, but we hope to open up for one-off parties and other events in due course. If you would like to know more about how you can hire the space please Contact Us.
See below for some before, during and after pictures of the works.